500 g white spelt flour or regular flour
2-4 tsp. cinnamon, to taste
1/4 l milk, luke-warm
1 cube of fresh yeast
85 g butter
100 g sugar
For the filling:
175 g cream cheese
25 g sugar
25 g + 1 tbsp. brown sugar
4 tbsp. Elderberry Jelly
1. Crumble the yeast into the luke-warm milk, add 1 dessertspoon of sugar, stir and let stand for 15 minutes until the yeast starts “working”. Mix together the flour, cinnamon and sugar. Add the butter (room temperature) and egg. Add the yeast-milk mixture. With the dough hook, knead to a smooth dough until it stops sticking. Add a little more flour, if necessary. Leave to stand in a warm place for 45 minutes. It should double in volume. Roll the dough into a square.
2. Preheat the oven to 175 °C (fan).
3. Mix together the cream cheese and sugar. Spread over the dough. Use the back of a spoon to spread the jelly roughly over the cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle with brown sugar.
4. Cut the square into 6 strips. Take three strips and place on top of each other. Repeat with the other three strips. Cut each into 6 pieces and place in a tin. Sprinkle with 1 dessertspoon brown sugar. Bake for around 35 minutes until the top of the cake is crisp and caramelly.
5. Leave to stand for a short time, remove from the tin, dust with icing sugar. Best served warm.